Skip to content

Next Surgery

February 14, 2010

In 24 days, Li’l Miss will be having another surgery for her palate repair. The date: March 10, 2010.

March 2010 also marks 18 months home for her. In those 18 months, she will have endured (and I don’t use that word lightly) six procedures in the hospital that required anesthesia and stays in the hospital. One of those procedures was not successful, but the others went amazingly well including one open-heart surgery, one cleft lip repair surgery, two cardiac catheritizations (one for checking pressures and one for making a repair), one failed palate surgery … and lastly, the planned palate surgery coming up that we hope will be very successful.

I know this post is not very encouraging to someone who might be considering adopting a child born with heart defects and cleft lip and palate. But in all unveiled honesty, in the every day we don’t think about or talk about the surgeries past or future. They just are.

Li’l Miss after all is the one who has to ultimately face them and ENDURE them. And she does it so well. She amazes us with her strength and perseverance. It is no doubt God-given. He knew what lie ahead for her.

So in 24 days, we’ll do the drill. Put her to bed with as full of a stomach as we can manage. Wake her up in the middle of the night for some Pedi*sure and of course put her in our bed for the rest of the night. Make the drive to the hospital … these are usually fairly quiet. It is very hard, and The Prez and I are both sufficiently nervous by this point. Thank goodness for the radio.

Am I nervous? Definitely. She has to be off aspirin therapy prior to surgery for 2 weeks. I am very attached to her aspirin therapy, and I like the benefits of it for her. It is a risk to take her off, but we have no choice IF she is going to have the palate surgery. It is hard to even type that.

What can we expect? This one will probably be the most painful yet for her. The recovery will be intense no doubt. Have I mentioned how MUCH she loves to eat? I am just trying to not think of it. Have I mentioned lately she still has some insecurities about food (or the possibility of lacking it)? Yet we will have to limit it and I know she won’t really understand.

She has lived for 4 1/2 years with a completely clefted palate from the gumline all the way back. This surgery will indeed be life-changing for her. She has waited a really long time for a surgery that many receive much sooner. She seems to know now that she needs it and lately her open palate has just been aggravating her for lack of a better way of putting it. I am thinking this is just her way of putting her game face on. She does not know per se about the surgery, but she has been to the visits and she definitely listens in. She is VERY intuitive.

In an illogical way, I wish she didn’t have to go through it … and if I’m being completely honest … I wish I didn’t have to go through it either.

How can one dread something so much and also think it can’t happen soon enough?

And I must note that on 3/9/09, she had her cleft lip repair surgery. Do you see the pattern? 3/10/10 for cleft palate repair surgery …

Oh and about this same time, we hope to have more concrete travel dates that could potentially be in March. Life is … not boring. :)

14 Comments leave one →
  1. Petrie permalink
    February 16, 2010 11:12 am

Well Leslie, I’m going to think of it this way. On March 11th, it will be done. On March 11th, you will be past the anxiety of the upcoming surgery, and God willing, she will be mending and one day closer to leaving the hospital. Given how fast she heals and rebounds after surgery, I believe she’ll do just fine. Your family is being held up by the strongest of hands! Love, Petrie

2. February 15, 2010 9:48 pm

I am praying for you!!!!!! Oh, that point of knowing it is best for her but wanting to run away and not have to do it….there is nothing like it. Praying for you as you get closer to “the date” and for the Lord’s peace and His hand of Peace, Protection and Provision over her as her palate is repaired….. Hang in there sweet friend!
    Shannon

3. Jennifer in DE permalink
    February 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Tough stuff for certain. In many ways I am glad Tessa came home with the cleft surgeries already done…would have been a blessing for her to have a mama by her side, but hard for me to watch. Future surgeries will be less complicated, but I know it will be hard. The little one we are considering right now has heart issues, but maybe growing out of them. We have to be prepared for some tough stuff if not. We will be blessed to pray for your family and your little one during her upcoming surgery and recovery.

4. February 15, 2010 10:30 am

If you have been following my blog you know we are facing another surgery (this will be 4 for us) and although we do not have heart issues (although there seems to be some new talk of this) Hudson’s epilepsy seems to complicate the whole anesthesia things….and now with the possibility of sleep apnea….probably changing surgeons and realizing we could have had this all important surgery done sooner is frustrating. Surgeries are always a little stressful but yes they do seem to tolerate them so well and bounce back…..praying for little miss as you approach March,,,,and concrete travel dates!!!!

5. February 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Praying for your precious family and your precious miracle girl! HUGS, stacy

6. joy permalink
    February 14, 2010 11:05 pm

I have a very neat kid in my class who was born with a cleft palate. He was nervous about an upcoming surgery and was talking about it one day and I asked him how many surgeries he has had and he very nonchalantly said lots and lots. Praying for your beautiful little one.

7. Pam permalink
    February 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Wow! When you spell it all like that, LM has been through A LOT since she’s been home. And for that matter, so has her mama. I’ll be praying for the upcoming surgery.

8. February 14, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi,
    I will be thinking of LM and your family as you prepare for surgery. Sophia had her palate surgery when she was twenty two months old. I gave her a soft food diet before her surgery to get her use to it. I let her eat pudding for dinner and made it her “special dinner”. I don’t think she appreciated eating pudding for dinner, but maybe LM would like to have “special” dinners since she will understand a little more than Sophia did. We, too, felt called to adopt two at a time also. We inquired to our agency and we were told they were doing two adoptions of unrelated children, but are not currently doing it any more. We just know we are meant to go back after we bring our son home. We have LOA and are waiting for our I-800 to come in the mail.
    Tricia

9. February 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Bless her heart. It’s so hard to watch them go through it, but like your Li’l Miss, my Kate has endured many procedures under anesthesia and bounces back quickly every time. God is so faithful. I am so thankful for modern medicine that can patch our kids up and send them home!

10. February 14, 2010 3:09 pm

we have only needed to see one of our children wheeled off to surgery. (Faith for adenoids and tonsil removal) That is only a tiny taste of what you have gone through to this point.

May God give you the strength for the next weeks.

11. February 14, 2010 2:05 pm

You know that I will be praying for both of you. You’ve got a brave and special little girl, and you are a brave and special mom.

12. February 14, 2010 10:03 am

I am praying for the surgery! I am hoping the eating will be a little easier than you expect. Their little mouths are super sore after the surgery and with the packing in the first few days, eating is just hard anyway. So hopefully it won’t be something she wants to do that much :) Charlottes favorite after the CP surgery-Tropical Smoothie!! We ate it with a spoon and she loved them!

Sending loving thoughts your way,
    Carla

13. Nathalie permalink
    February 14, 2010 8:48 am

L,
    I will keep you, the family and Little Miss in our prayers as you prepare her and yourselves for surgery.
    In the meantime, I came upon this verse and it made me think about you.
    “But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.”
    Habakkuk 2:3

14. February 14, 2010 8:33 am

Prayers will be flowing from West MI during her next procedure. Hugs!!!