Skip to content

UPDATE: God IS GREAT!

March 10, 2010

It’s me Leslie back on the blog! Thanks to Grammy and Papa for the updates today.

What a day!!!

We arrived as requested at 10:30. By this time, LM had not had food for 12 hours and no liquid for 2 hours. She did so well until about 1 p.m. :( Then she really started getting frustrated and asking every five minutes for something to eat! So, we took a lot of walks, she drove the Cozy C*upe, we watched for the helicopter out the window, you get the idea.

Since she was supposed to be taken back at 12:30, we were all getting anxious. They kept telling us Dr. K. was behind schedule and in surgery at the adult hospital (he sees adult patients as well). We were getting worried at about 2:15 when they told us it could be “quite awhile longer.”

We asked Papa to update the blog for prayers and we asked others to pray. Then just 15 minutes later, Dr. K came in and whisked her away. She did cry and that was heartbreaking. This was the first time she ever did that.

The surgery took about 2 hours, and Dr. K. was “extremely pleased” and commented that “there was so much good muscle tissue, which I was not expecting, but it was great to have it.” He explained to us that this is so good for her palate and he expects and hopes for this to be the only surgery she’ll need until she is much older. We hope so too. He of course cautioned us that there is always a risk for infection and fistulas (holes that can open up).

We talked about p-flaps and z-plastys and I was so grateful to hear him say that IF she needed one of those, he would and does do both based on the child’s individual needs. I have read much lately about the advantages/disadvantages of each and how some docs only do one or the other, but Dr. K. does both as needed. Just good to know.

She has been sleeping mostly. She seems comfortable all things considered. Oh, her heart “did not miss a beat” accd. to Dr. K. No blood products needed AT ALL. PRAISE GOD!

God has answered all of our prayers for her heart to be stable, her surgery to go as planned, and so far she is peaceful and resting. Thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes!

As for several of you (and I mean SEVERAL; I’ve read every last comment) who’ve encouraged me with such kind words about blogging or not, I am still here for now. :) Thanks for all your kind words and continued prayers for our family. It is all very humbling.

Oh, and several of you commented on LM looking so big, I have to tell you she has grown SO MUCH. She has nearly doubled her weight since we brought her home 18 months ago, and she has grown so tall. She is talking all the time, and I’m guessing that is just going to increase all the more. I still can’t believe most days that God gave us this incredible gift. To this day, many doctors and nurses at the hospital remember her and most agree she is a miracle.

This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it!

36 Comments leave one →
  1. March 11, 2010 6:25 pm

It sounds like the surgery went wonderfully!!! Jadon is getting ready for a bone graft sometime in the next couple of months. Didn’t realize how nervous that would make me until the orthodontist said that it was time! I know that you have gone through much more major surgeries with LM, though. So glad that her heart beat perfectly through this surgery.

Blessings,
    Sarah

2. March 11, 2010 4:28 pm

So glad she made it through surgery so well, and is doing great! :)

3. Jennifer Welsh permalink
    March 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Wonderful news! We have been praying and thinking of you all!

4. March 11, 2010 10:49 am

PTL! I am so happy to hear that she is doing well and that you are doing well!

5. shirlee permalink
    March 11, 2010 9:32 am

Praising God with you! I’m so thankful that your sweet girl is doing well!

6. March 11, 2010 9:13 am

What a wonderful update!!!! Praising God with you that this surgery is now complete!!!

7. March 11, 2010 9:12 am

Rejoicing with you!!! Our God is so GOOD!!!

8. Petrie permalink
    March 11, 2010 8:42 am

So thankful to read your blog, hearing an upbeat voice in your writing this morning! Hurray for God in the way he has worked out L’il Miss’s surgery!

9. March 11, 2010 8:32 am

Yeah!!!
    Praise God!!!
    Praying for complete healing….

10. March 11, 2010 8:28 am

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!! Thank you Jesus for such a wonderful report!!!! Praying for a quick and easy recovery!!

And please don’t stop blogging!!! What would I do without my Lil’ Miss updates!?

11. March 11, 2010 8:20 am

I am so glad that Lil Miss is doing so well! It sounds like everything went according to plan! I have been thinking about you and hope that things continue to go so well. Sophia didn’t have any fistulas or any infections after her surgery. Plus, she started speaking much clearer immediately (atleast we thought so)! We still go to speech twice a week and it has helped a lot. There are still sounds she omits or substitutes, but it is improving. I wish Lil Miss a speedy recovery and hope you are home by the weekend!!!
    Tricia

12. March 11, 2010 8:13 am

WOOHOOO!! Praising Him for all those answered prayers!!
    What blessed news all around!! :)
    Go GOD!!

13. Kathie Hikade permalink
    March 11, 2010 8:00 am

In the words of dear Linny…Yippee Jesus!!! I am so glad everything went well. I am thinking you will see big gains in the speech department over what you have already been seeing. I am so ahppy that her heart did well during the surgery. And I can’t wait to follow her progress!!!
    Kathie

14. Stacey permalink
    March 11, 2010 7:25 am

Oh thanking God so much right now for it to all be over with out any glitches or worries. He is good. He does it in HIS timing.
    Love yall
    StaceyMartin

15. March 11, 2010 7:24 am

Praise God for how well she (and you) did:) She does look so big. Hope you come home soon and she continus to heal without any complications.

16. March 11, 2010 7:22 am

So glad to hear she did so well. She does look so big! Praise God for all blessings and I hope that you guys are home and recovering soon.

17. March 11, 2010 7:19 am

Go Jesus! Go Jesus! Go! Go! Go! Go! I remember when we lived back in Louisville and the road we took to work involved driving over a very bumpy and yucky train track crossing. It drove us crazy because there was always this slow down section to get over it. Well, finally after a long time of working on it, they smoothed it out and you could just glide right over it. Before long, we had completely forgotten about how yucky that part was, as though it was only a bad dream, even though it had been reality. I often reflect back on that when I am in a yucky situation and think, “hhm, this is yucky, but before I know it it will be fixed and I won’t even remember it.” Chew on that for a while…..

18. March 11, 2010 7:10 am

What a praise that it all went so well!!! Thanking God for fulfilling his promises, and continuing to bless your sweet LM! Can’t wait to hear how quickly her speech progresses.

19. March 11, 2010 7:04 am

Woo hoo! I’m so very happy to read the latest happenings. It sounds like her road to recovery won’t be nearly as traumatic. Continued blessings to you and your sweet little girl!!

20. March 11, 2010 7:02 am

Praise the Lord for your good news!

21. March 11, 2010 6:55 am

Glad for the news – and yeah – LM really ‘is’ such a big girl! God does provide to His faithful!

hugs – aus and co.

22. March 11, 2010 1:15 am

Praise the Lord for such a great surgery outcome! So glad her heart was a non-issue during the whole thing. So fun to see those adorable pictures! She does look likes she’s grown a ton!

Hope the night is manageable and LM’s pain is kept in check.

23. Joanna permalink
    March 11, 2010 12:27 am

Forgot to mention–love those painted fingernails!

24. Joanna permalink
    March 11, 2010 12:26 am

So glad to hear the good news! Continuing to pray for a speedy recovery, but glad to know that things went so well. Blessings to you and yours!

25. March 11, 2010 12:21 am

YAHOO!!! Praise you Lord….this is wonderful news! Thank you for posting so soon!!!

26. March 11, 2010 12:08 am

Glad she is doing so well. She will wake up starving, I’m sure. Yes, she has gotten so big and pretty as ever. I love her! trina

27. March 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks for the update. God is good. I will continue to pray for her healing.

Amy

28. Fiona Geiger permalink
    March 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Praising God with you. Will continue to pray for a rapid recovery with zero complications.

Lots of love
    Fiona

29. Sally permalink
    March 10, 2010 11:53 pm

What great news! Thanks for the update! I’ve been praying for her, and will continue to keep her in my prayers!

30. Pam permalink
    March 10, 2010 11:52 pm

God is FAITHFUL. So glad to read the wonderful news. Praying now that LM has a smooth and comfortable recovery.

31. Donna Hutcheson permalink
    March 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Praise God!!! So happy to hear that all went so well today. We are praying for you all tonight, that’s it’s a peaceful one. Praying for a very quick recovery as well. Thank you for keeping us updated… She really is a precious miracle from God.

32. March 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks for the update! Yes, God is good!
    Barb

33. March 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Today is wonderful day! So glad to hear that she’s doing well–you sound to relieved in your post! Try to enjoy a few moments to yourself–you deserve them!

34. March 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Thank you Lord for this good report! She looks so grown up and sassy in that picture below:)

35. March 10, 2010 11:10 pm

Oh Leslie!

I’m crying happy tears! I know you must feel such relief even though your sweet little girl still has recovery ahead of her. Her heart did its job! She made it through with flying colors. I get the feeling that Lil Miss will walk through life exceeding people’s expectations All. The. Time. May she always point toward Him who saved her and His amazing love!

Such good news to go to sleep on! :-)

Here if you need me,
    T

36. March 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Oh Leslie….I have tears of praise running down my cheeks! Praise God for his hands on your sweet girl’s life. Praise Him for a perfect surgery…Oh just Praise Him so much!!!!